Why Use an Ozone Spa Sanitizer?
Most hot tubs are built with a spa ozonator for a good reason: ozone spa sanitizers are the most cost-effective natural method to maintain the fresh, clear hot tub water you want.
The benefits of an ozone spa sanitizer are many:
- Natural ozone is a form of oxygen and is the most powerful spa sanitizer available.
- Automatic sanitation makes maintaining “feel good” hot tub water simpler.
- Ozone reduces the need for harsh chemicals (such as chlorine and bromine) by 60 – 90%.
- Ozone kills up to 99.99% of dangerous microbial agents like bacteria and viruses on contact.
- Ozone oxidizes the widest range of organic materials, including all human fluids, of any spa sanitizer.
- The only byproduct of ozone is ordinary oxygen – and oxygen actually contributes to the sparkling clarity of hot tub water.
What About Alternative Sanitizers?
Ozone is not the only spa sanitizer around. Even with a working spa ozonator, you will use a small amount of supplementary chemicals such as a small amount of sodium hypochloride after each hot tub use.
There are other agents that claim to be good primary spa sanitizers. Bromine is one of the most familiar of these, but its noxious side effects (like smell, feel and dangerous chloramines and bromamines) are making it less desirable. Other non-chlorine alternatives are available, but none offers the naturally purifying power of ozone without side effects or chemical residues. See our spa sanitizer comparison chart for more details.
Isn’t Ozone Dangerous?
When ozone from DEL Ozone Corona Discharge (CD) ozonators gets fully dissolved in the hot tub water it has no adverse effects on humans. It does, however, kill bacteria or viruses living in the water.
Ozone spa sanitizers protect humans from the rashes and diseases that can result from inadequately treated water. And they help to deliver the pure, clear water that is essential for a satisfying hot tub experience.
It is true that excessive amounts of ambient ozone in air can irritate nose and lung linings. Ozone is a component of air pollution because it interacts with nitrogen compounds that result from burning fossil fuels which results in smog. The ozone from your spa ozonator that is dissolved into the hot tub water through an injector valve does not contribute to either of these problems. In fact, ozone solves most spa water problems!